On Tuesday, 11 November 2003 09:32, Martin Spott wrote:
> .... although I have the impression that video hardware is not the
> limiting factor with FlightGear nowadays,

You haven't seen what I'm busy with ...  :)
Still have a long way to go so I'm keeping my mouth zipped (in case I don't
complete it) but  the more textures you can stick into video memory the
better especially for hi-res terrain textures like aerial/satelite photos.

You can only get an area of about 18km*18km at 1meter/pixel resolution into
1GB of video memory!
However one would use mipmaps/lowres textures cause you are never going to see
the difference between 4m/pixel and 1m/pixel at distance of more than a
couple of kilometers.

It takes a huge load off the AGP bus when you don't have to keep moving
textures between system RAM and video RAM.

Paul