John Barrett writes:
> Very different indeed -- I'm trying to model the pilots deciscion processes
> and interactions at a general level sufficient to write procedures to do
> ANYTHING that can be done with a plane. Directly controlling an aircraft via
> FDM just insures that the generic procedures dont exceed the performance
> capabilities of a specific plane, and can be tailored to specific aircraft
> when needed by overriding library procedures with aircraft specific
> procedures.

I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation, but let me make a
few comments.

I envision a model where a single "client" computer will be
responsible only for the location of it's single interactive aircraft.
It sends it's the information about it's single aircraft to the
server.

>From a multi-player standpoint.  Any additional "AI" aircraft to be
seeded into the world, should be handled by the server.  The server
will create and delete them, the server will fly them, script them,
etc. etc.

This way, an instance of FlightGear needs to send the position of the
aircraft it is responsible for to the server, and then it will receive
the positions of any other aircraft (AI or human controlled) in the
vicinity.

I think step #1 should be to get the client/server stuff working
without worrying about any AI aircraft at all.  Let's get the
communication going so people can fly together.

Once that is fleshed out, we can worry about seeding additional AI
aircraft into the world to make things more interesting.  At that
point we can decide how to fly them, script them, animate them, etc.
But I think most of that should be handled on the server side.  A
single instance of flightgear would get the same information on other
aircraft regardless of whether they are human or AI controlled.

I think this should be kept separate from any system where FlightGear
populates it's own world with AI aircraft.  I think that should get
completely turned off when the multiplayer stuff is activated.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org