[Starting a new thread.  John's reply was burried in the parent thread]

John Barret wrote:
> I would like to request your ideas and wishes for an aircraft AI
> scripting language sufficiently generic in scope to handle piloting
> any aircraft running on FG.

There is some support already in place for using Plib's "psl" language
in FlightGear; it's a sane minilanguage with C-like syntax and
semantics (basic types and functions, basically; no pointers, structs
or arrays).  It talks to the rest of FlightGear through the property
tree.  You will want to investigate this first; I haven't tried it
yet.

I'd caution against a special-purpose language; these things are
almost always just as hard to write as real languages are, and never
quite do as much as you hoped.  I'd stick with a general purpose
language, whatever you do.

And now the plug. :) I wrote a scripting language of my own at one
point (http://www.plausible.org/nasal) which is closer to Perl or
Javascript.  It's semantically richer than PSL, supporting all the
stuff you expect like vectors, hashes/objects, garbage collection,
et. al.  It's also quite small; a little over 100k of source code
these days.  No work has been done to integrate it into
FlightGear/SimGear (I wrote it for my own game project last spring),
but I'd be happy to do so if there was interest.

Languages are like religions though.  Some people are going to hate
the idea, some people are going to like it except for one or two
things that *have* to be fixed first, some will want to use a
different language.  No one seems to want to use PSL yet, though, so
it seems to me like the door is still open for alternatives. :)

Andy