John Barrett writes:
> I've got some code from another project that I'm trying to hook into FG...
> it uses a short compiled program to generate a header file used by the rest
> of the package... I've added the program to Makefile.am, and it builds, now,
> how do I get that program to execute before the library that depends on the
> header is compiled ?? (library code in the same folder and same Makefile.am
> as the header generator program)

This is starting to get into some tricky automake/autoconf voodoo if
you want to run compiled programs in the middle of the build.  Also
consider that this could hose anyone who might want to cross compile.
I don't know anyone who does, but last time I tried the win32 cross
compiler on linux, it ran about 10x faster than natively on windows on
the same hardware.  That was years ago though and I'm sure cygwin has
drastically improved it's performance on windows in the mean time.

Anyway, this sort of stuff can really up the complexity of the build
system so I'd *really* like to avoid it if at all possible.

That said, the autoconf configure script works by generating little
programs and executing them (or at least testing if they can be
compiled, linked, etc.)  So it might be possible to work something
into the configure script if it was simple enough ... not that I'm
excited about the idea ...

Is there anyway you can restructure things to avoid needing to do
this?

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org