David Megginson wrote:
Danie Heath wrote:

I just wanna find out how Simgear actually works. Does it generate the world as a sphere, or as a flat world ?

An irregular WGS84 spheroid, I think, which is more accurate than either flat or spherical.

Speaking of which,

After searching from some more information about the WGS84 model I came across a site that could calculate the local gravity based on the WGS84 model:

http://solid_earth.ou.edu/notes/potential/igf.htm

But after searching a bit more I found the following site with lots of information that might be of interest for us:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/aeroblks/aero_ref.shtml

This site also had a reference to the World Magnetic Model 2000:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/WMM/DoDWMM.shtml
ftp://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/Solid_Earth/Mainfld_Mag/DoD_Model/C_Software/

Is this something we could use?

Erik