Lee Elliott wrote:
> A couple of things about modelling sea-planes in FG though - a) unless
> you start in the air, you have to start on a runway, and b) with
> YASim, at least, you can't define the fuselage properly because part
> of it has to start below the surface and you get a collision at
> start-up.  Dunno how JSBSim and UIUC handle this.

I'm not following you.  While it's true that YASim has no support for
sea plane float modelling (buoyance and extra drag), it's not clear to
me that it's doing the wrong thing on a runway.  I mean, if a real
plane started with its tail in the ground... :) Seriously, though: on
hard surfaces, there ought to be something you can do with normal gear
objects to get correct behavior.  Let me know if you're having any
trouble.

And actually, seaplane float handling really wouldn't be that hard --
the float just acts like a skid with a softer spring and slightly
different drag behavior (need to include a v^2 term, which friction
doesn't have).

The harder part is teaching the scenery system how to tell water from
land, and writing an API to forward that information to the to FDM.
This could be rolled into the task of handling:

Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
> Wow, and I suppose simulating sea-plane landings means we have to
> model ocean swells.  Once we have them, though, they will provide the
> bonus that carrier decks can start pitching and yawing realistically.

The existing ground interface only handles elevation, which means that
it doesn't understand non-level surfaces.  A fancier per-gear
interface needs to be written, which would include indicators for
"normal vector", "velocity" (carriers move!), and I guess "surface
type".

Andy