Jon S. Berndt wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a RAM disk utility or feature under Unix
> (specifically, IRIX)?  When running a simulation on IRIX we are
> finding that the disk access is taking too much time at various
> phase boundaries.  It is thought that the use of a RAM disk might
> help.

RAM disks are ancient history; they date from a time before OS-managed
caching of disk access.

If you are sure you have the RAM to support both your application and
the data file contents simultaneously, then you can "prefetch" the
file contents into memory with a simple:

   cat datafile > /dev/null

Try this before running your program and see how that works.  If it
turns out you do need the memory for the running process, you might
try spawning it off as a background process "shortly" (you'll have to
measure that time delay for an appropriate value) before you start
hitting the disk.

Andy