The IEEE smart sensor standard is currently being updated from the
previous release, including the networked sensor array stuff that
is intended for the likes of Boeing when performing flight testing.
It occurs to me that the people who are interested in monitoring the
FDM behavior (i.e. the JSB team) and/or the simulation operations
(i.e. the property and network support team) might want to be involved.

I can see benefits in having the simulator be accessible using the
same network tools as are used to monitor real aircraft and factories,
because it lets us use the same data logging and analysis software.
http://ieee1451.nist.gov/  and probably follow the links for ".3"
to learn more about their approach.  The websites are out of date.

There is an annual show, held in Anaheim California last year and
will be Detroit Michigan June this year, http://www.sensorsexpo.com/
which has a free presentation area where 1451 stuff is shown off.
Showing off the simultaneous logging of real sensors and simulation
output demonstrates the power of 1451 and is a free plug for FGFS.
I don't know where they're planning to hold the 2005 event tho.