On Tuesday 24 February 2004 20:44, Erik Hofman wrote:

> It is supported for airports that have ATC (sorry no AI traffic at
> EHLE). But indeed Eelde has ATC support and therefore can handle ATC
> traffic at the moment.

Cool! Wasn't Lelystad supposed to get ATC "real soon" about two years ago? I
haven't been there since returning home last December, so I don't know what
the situation is.

> I have followed an AI Cessna once but I lost in when it literally flew
> through a mountain, so I guess it is distance limited.

Hmm, I see. So that's a little too much emhasis on the A and a bit too less on
the I part in AI, I guess :-). [Ironically, this reminds me that IIRC, one of
the original design goals of FlightGear (in 1996-1997 or so) was to develop a
realistic ATC subsystem that does take terrain elevation into account and not
direct planes into mountains. ;-) Anyways, I'm just kidding. Nothing but
compliments here. This is hard stuff to impliment.]

Seriously though, so I understand that AI planes take-off and depart to
undefined destinations or do they return? I couldn't really figure this out
based on the code? Maybe I should follow a chessna taking off from Eelde, was
there's not much chance of one of those crashing into a mountain. :-)

> Robin Peel already has air corridors (airways) data for X-Plane which
> probably could be used by FlightGear as well. I think it is DAFIF(T)
> based so we can generate them ourselves also.

That's interesting. I was always curious whether an airways database for
flightgear existed or not. It would be an interesting exersize to plot these
in Atlas, as this would be a good start to generate flight plans.

> > Unfortunately, I don't think we'd be able to use any of the project AI
> > material, because their licence is pretty strictly freeware, and thus not
> > compatible with the GPL.
>
> It might be worth a shot to convince them to use GPL (or less
> restrictive) instead.

Yes definitely. I might give it a shot and contact some of these people and
find out what what their attitude towards GPL is.

Cheers,
Durk