David Megginson wrote:
Erik Hofman wrote:

I know that in Europe they recently added a requirement for collision detection after two civilian aircraft hit each other when the ATC had given inappropriate directions.

Is that a requirement for TCAS, or for something else in addition to TCAS?

Every passenger plane visiting Europe must have one of them installed (including military aircraft carrying passengers).

The copilot on one of those planes was a Canadian, so we heard a fair bit about the crash in the news. The worst part was that Swiss ATC tried to cover up their mistake, but the ever-efficient Germans happened to have tapes to prove the Swiss controller's error.

Yes, it wasn't perfect but to my knowledge it wasn't an error for the air traffic controller but rather a management problem involving scheduled (and unscheduled) maintenance.

That said, I'm sorry to hear that the Swiss controller died. Was it in any way related to the accident?

One of the aircraft was full with children from Russia and the are holding a Russian suspect.

You can do the math.

Erik