On Monday 08 March 2004 13:21, David Megginson wrote:
> Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > That could be useful. Could you let me have a copy?
>
> I'll send it via private e-mail.  Also, for anyone interested in the
> Hurricane (the Spitfire's weaker and lesser known sibling, but also the
> plane that did the real bulk of the fighting in the Battle of Britain),
> here is a link to John Deakin's AvWeb articles on flying one for the
> Commemorative Airforce:
>
> http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185674-1.html
> http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185849-1.html
>

> All the best,
>

> David

It's one of the aeronautical curiosities of WW2 that the Spitfire ended up as
one of the most 'famous' a/c of that time.

Certainly, it was an excellent a/c but as you say, it's contribution in the
BoB, where it was only present in very small numbers, was far out-weighed by
the Hurricane.

Infact, some of the most notable exploits by Spitfires were in the field of
PR, both high and low-level.

In the later stages of WW2 the Typhoon & Tempest became more significant (even
though they were pressed into service while still in development - hence the
early & deserved reputation for structural  & reliability problems) as the
role switched from defense to offense - the Spitfire wasn't suited for ground
attack and it wasn't fast enough to deal with the V1s either.

Don't anyone get me wrong - as I said, it's an excellent a/c, but it's fame is
out of proportion to it's contribution.

An example of the power of propaganda, perhaps...

LeeE