Orthonormalize wrote:
>     -my solution: prebuild a few Lowest Common Denominator configurations
> (say lynux,windows and mac) and then call  it a day.

A key advantage of FlightGear is that it _does_ support high end platforms.
What's the point in having a simulator that only runs on low end systems ?
If someone is doing a professional research installation, they should be
able to use a cluster (as some do) or high end UNIX (tm) operating systems
(as others do) and not be summarily kicked out in favor of the home users.

From: "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> -  There are a few things that are hard for us to control.
> Glut is not well supported on all versions of RedHat.

The PLIB team is, of course, trying to eliminate that dependency.

From: "Orthonormalize" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> honestly have you ever tried building this thing from scratch?

Personally?  Last week, on an AMD64 laptop that's running Debian's Sarge.

The code downloaded and compiled from scratch (with PLIB and TerraGear)
in about 15 minutes.  Although that would run with software rendering,
it took me another hour to get ATI drivers and bring up accelerated 3D.
I'll be showing it at a San Diego Python Users Group meeting next month.

It also builds using the Debian pure 64 bit environment.  No FG problems,
thanks to the painstaking efforts of Erik et al, but I'm having trouble
with numeric libraries (including Mesa) so the simulator fails to run.

From: "Orthonormalize" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> again i'm not
> trying to be harsh but the build process is really
> quite complicated and i haven't succeeded yet.

Bear in mind that is quite hard to get a Windows operating system to
transition into a development environment, because the basic install
does not offer any developer tools or header files for its libraries.
As a result, when you add all of that stuff on, independently of the
underlying operating system, it is very easy to make tiny mistakes.

Others have commented that you are using a different combination
of add-on Windows developer toolchains than the other developers.
That is of course your right, especially in an open source project,
but please don't be surprised when you experience unusual problems.

While most Linux based distributions also omit developer tools from
a basic install, they differ by making it trivial to add them later.

I would _strongly_ recommend that, as soon as you _think_ you have
PLIB built and installed right, you try to compile and run _all_
example programs that are provided by the PLIB project developers.
They should each work out of the box and provide nice little demos.
If they don't, there is no point trying to do SimGear or FlightGear
because they won't work either and the problems will be more subtle.

Hope that helps ...