From: "Jon Berndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> [...]. This resulted in a little tumble, but when I came out of it and
> regained level flight, the ADI showed I had a left roll of about 40 degrees,
> but the visual scene (and more importantly for me) the FDM property that
> drives it showed  a roll angle of about -4 degrees.

Jon, as commented elsewhere, that is a feature of the actual aircraft
instrument and is intentionally present because is a source of fatal
accidents.

An example: Imagine walking out the back door of your house, to your
grass strip, get in the plane, start the engine, taxi 100ft to the
end of the runway, take off, turn on the autopilot, enter the overcast,
start calling ATC to confirm time-off for the IFR departure, get hit
by a gust, see a pitch/roll upset, the autopilot corrects it for you,
die (unexpectedly).

The gyros still hadn't spun up, but the autopilot didn't know about that
and acted on the assumed correct data.  Had you been flying manually,
the instrument scan cross check should have noticed the inconsistency among
the gyro and non-gyro instruments and you would probably have survived.

But, speaking to you specifically and your role as an FDM author,
that's one of the reason why the HUD shows the raw uncooked data.
It lets you find out what's _really_ happening in your models.