Realsoft3D V4.5 (Linux beta)  A lot of people think that it has a steep
learning curve but personally I find it both logical and consistent.

http://www.realsoft.com

I then export the geometry in .OBJ format (using a free plug-in) for import
into AC3D for texturing (textures are done in the Gimp).

RS have, in the recent past,  released a number of render resolution limited
versions of RS3D V4.n for magazine cover discs/DVDs but that's not an issue
just as far as modelling for FG is concerned.

LeeE