Chris Horler said:

> I wrote a patch to get simple helicopter animations to work on a slave
> machine.
>
> I didn't look into the source too much at first - I wrote most of the patch on
> the Linux Developer expo day.
>
> I now realise I missed something.  I think the ExternalNet.cxx file is used
> when the native protocol is used, this never calls the required routine to
> see the animations on the other computer/fgfs2.
>
> If I use the --native-ctrls I do see the animations, but get no position
> updates for the fdm (because the netfdm isn't used).
>
> from the looks of this we'd need to use one protocol to move the heli and
> another to animate it.  The only problem is that both call the same function
> at one point and waste cpu time - because it's really only needed the once.
>
> Anyway all that aside I'm noticing another problem now that I got it partially
> working.
>
> it's like watching an old black and white movie - wheels (props) are almost
> spinning backward because the camera (hz) is not large enough.  I have Hz set
> to 30.  I can't help but think here, why do we need to handle the rotation by
> a position rather than by rpm?
>
> What happens with fixed wing propellers in this situation?

The helicopter animation I am not familiar with.  Probably the blades are
doing a lot more than just spinning around the hub.  In any case, the same
issue you mention is there even with the spin/rpm animation used on the props.
 At full rpm you really can't see the blades at all on the real thing, except
_maybe_ a blur that gets darker in the center.

Best,

Jim