Melchior FRANZ wrote:

> * Erik Hofman -- Wednesday 28 April 2004 10:31:
> > After some debate on the developers mailing list we now have the
> > possibility to adjust the _current_ configuration file to match the
> > joystick bindings for windows.
> [...]
> > <axis n="2">
> [...]
> > You could easily change it to the following to get it working for
> > Windows also:
> >
> > <axis>
> >    <desc>Rudder</desc>
> >    <number>
> >     <unix>2</unix>
> >     <windows>3</windows>
> >    </number>
>
> Q1:
> Is there a policy for where to replace the old notation by the new?
> Should it only be done where Unix and Windows actually differ (like in
> sidewinder-precision-pro.xml), or everywhere (like in
> wingman-extreme-digital-3d-win.xml[1]) even if that means to state
> the same value both for unix and windows? The latter is more consistent
> and easier to change (for newbies :-), but also more verbose.

Ideally, the new notation should replace the old in order to
eliminate potential confusion. But the patch was made to be
compatible with existing profile : it use the node index ( the
n attribute ) if there is no 'number' node for the axis or button.

> Q2:
> The hats of the Cyborg-Gold-3d are accessible both as axes *and* as
> buttons. Does anyone know if the button numbers are also swapped
> under Windows, or if this only applies to the axis numbers?
>
> * Frederic Bouvier -- Tuesday 27 April 2004 20:13:
> > axis 2 and 3 need to be exchanged
> > Linux 2 == Windows 3 == rudder
> > Linux 3 == Windows 2 == throttle
> > axis 4 and 5 are hat on Linux and becomes 6 and 7 on Windows.
> > Linux 4 == Windows 6 == left/right
> > Linux 5 == Windows 7 == up/down
>
> So, for the Cyborg-Gold-3d:
>
>                 Unix         Unix       |  Windows       Windows?
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------
>   hat forward   button 10    axis 5/H   |  axis 7/H      button ?
>   hat left      button 11    axis 4/L   |  axis 6/L      button ?
>   hat right     button 12    axis 4/H   |  axis 6/H      button ?
>   hat back      button 13    axis 5/L   |  axis 7/L      button ?
>
> I don't really care for the hat axes -- I'm using the equivalent
> buttons. Are they the same for Linux and Windows?

I never care about buttons, because I never plugged my joystick in
my Linux box. This is no more true ;-) and I am impressed to see
that Mandrake recognized the Logitech stick without any manual
intervention. So I can tell you that for this stick, the button
layout is the same in both systems. It conforms to the numbering
printed on the devices.

-Fred