Jim Wilson wrote:

Lower frequencies especially would be hard to detect direction anyway even
without the hard surfaces.  This reminds me of the engine out protocol on
light twins,  which seems to assume that you won't hear which engine is silent.

That's an excellent point -- there are several procedures for identifying which engine is out, and none of them has to do with directional sound. Essentially, the engine noise is transmitted through the entire airframe, and you're doing the equivalent of sitting inside a loudspeaker.

I think that the directional sound will be very interesting for external views, and might also be useful for near midair collisions, but in general, I don't think it's much use inside the cockpit.

All the best,

David