In my opinion, having vertex count exceeding 10,000 isn't that bad.  What I
think really killing framerate are textures.

Speaking of vertex count and texture resolution, does FlightGear support
multiple level-of-details?  (As in loading a model with more and more details
as the object is getting closer to the camera.)

Regards,
Ampere