Erik Hofman wrote:
> There might be one step in between here, which I have been thinking of
> a bit. It would be easy to implement a bounding cylinder (2d collision
> detection) and only if there is a hit go to the bounding sphere.  For
> me it looks like that approach would be much less costly as directly
> determining a bounding sphere.

The truly adventurous should note that the "mostly 2D" nature of the
problem lends itself nicely to a tree-based (quadtree or BSP)
hierarchical representation.  The coarse intersection of bounding
spheres should be the next level of refinement, finally followed by
testing of individual polygons.

Andy