Hi Folks,

I'm trying to solve the following problem:
Given the following:
- latitude, longitude of departure
- latitude, longitude of arrival
- scheduled departure time
- scheduled arrival time

I want to calculate the current position of the aircraft , sssuming that it
travels along a great circle route between these two points and also assuming
that the current time is somewhere between arrival and departure.

I currently have two questions: 1). Is there already code available in
FlightGear or SimGear that can do this for me? I browsed the waypoint and
math directories in SimGear, and the route manager files in FlightGear's
Autopilot directory, where I found lot's of code to solve parts of the
porblem[*], but I couldn't find a full solution yet. 2). Is it possible to
translate the solution from a spherical coordinate system to a WGS84 world
model? I have a fairly good concept of how I would solve this problem using a
spherical world model, but I don't know yet how I should adapt this to a
WGS84 model. I need this function for an AI traffic manager that I'm
currently writing for FlightGear.

[*] Using existing FlightGear/Simgear code, I managed to calculate the
distance between two points, which I could then divide by the difference
between Arrival and Departure time, to get the average speed of travel.

Thanks in advance! Any hint is welcome. :-)
Durk