Andy Ross wrote:

> Sent: 13 May 2004 23:38
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Spitfire Performance Testing
>

> Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > As you can see, it "flies". The engine/propeller combination is a
> > horrid bodge in YASim. Very unrealistic performance.
> Looking forward
> > to resolving that issue.
>
> I actually thought it was resolved.  Did the recent changes
> not work for you?  I can only fix bugs that are reported. :)

First the good news - Cygwin compiles at last - thanks, I think, to Normans
latest files.

Now the bad news - the new propeller/engine code does not seem to work for
me. These are the input data:

<propeller  x="-1.2" y="0" z="0.0"
                mass="2000"
            moment="30"
                radius="1.638"
            cruise-speed="308"
                cruise-rpm="1360"
                cruise-power="1140"
                cruise-alt="15000"
                takeoff-power="1120"
                takeoff-rpm="1300"
                gear-ratio = "0.477"

                <piston-engine
                        eng-power="1140"
                        eng-rpm="2850"
                        displacement="1649"
                        turbo-mul="3.5"
                        wastegate-mp="48"/>
</propeller>

YASim finds a solution which seems reasonable, but the engine idles 445 rpm,
and does not accelerate beyond 1485 rpm when throttle = 1. Thrust is 388 lbs
- way too low. The model does not fly. Have I misinterpreted the input data
requirements?

Regards

Vivian