I did a check in 3D Studio and it shows that the name of these objects does
indeed end with an 'H'.  I re-exported the model again but these particular
control surfaces still don't move if I refer to them as whateverH in the XML
file.  So this prompt me to check the actual 3ds file rather than the max
file (max file is the actual file that I work with -- a source, so to speak).
One look at the object list and I know why we have this missing H problem --
3ds only allows a name of ten characters, and "Elevator01H" has eleven
characters.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Regards,
Ampere