On Thursday 27 May 2004 21:44, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Josh Babcock said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > This leaves several keys totally unused, I would suggest reserving
> > defyuDEFYU and their CTRL modifiers for aircraft and putting a note as
> > such in
>
> keyboard.xml
>
> > so people don't create conflicts in their local configs and also so that
> > airplane builders will know what keys shouldn't step on their user's
> > custom keyboard layouts.
> >
> > Lastly, while we're at it, get rid of any key bindings define in the code
> > and put the mappings in keyboard.xml. I'm not sure if there are issues
> > with doing that though.  That will help with custom layouts a lot.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > Josh
>
> As a former advocate for this idea, I'd like to relate some reservations on
> the idea reserving aircraft specific keys.  One question that comes to mind
> is how many things do we actually need an aircraft specific binding for?
> There could be a problem with duplicating functions, mapped to different
> keys for different aircraft.  Just because something isn't universal to all
> aircraft doesn't mean we shouldn't just bind it with the rest.  Most
> everything is not really unique.
>
> Certainly it'd be helpful to some day have a dialog for changing bindings
> similar to most any simulator or game.
>
> An effort well spent would be in coming up with a way to update bindings
> and save them in a user file, rather than forcing end users to hand edit an
> xml config file to modify bindings.  If bindings were named with sensible
> names and then listed in a dialog with a scrollable window similar to the
> property browser, then the task would be fairly straight forward.
>
> But having a list of named bindings that changes depending on selected
> aircraft would needlessly complicate any effort such as this, especially
> for an end user.  For this reason, and the consideration of true necessity,
> I think we should just put everything in the keyboard.xml until we use up
> all the bindings.  At some point we'll just have to choose bindings or look
> for a more efficient way of handling something.  (For some reason I keep
> thinking of emacs :-))
>
> <with resignation>
> If there really is strong incentive to have aircraft specific bindings then
> I'd make the list very small.  Start with the minimum that anyone needs
> (e.g. one key with and without shift and ctrl).  If someone needs more than
> add another one.  That's it.  Put dummy bindings in keyboard.xml to reserve
> the key and document that it is aircraft specific.
> </with resignation>
> I am no longer in agreement that reserving a block of them is a good idea.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

I agree with that.

BTW it would be also very helpfull to have some sort of keybinding help
window, that shows a list of all key bindings that are used or needed to
control the currently chosen aircraft.
This would make a lot things easier, especially for users that are new to
flightgear.

The key to show this keybinding help menu should of course be standardized
and everywhere (regardless of which aircraft is currently chosen) available.

I would suggest to use the F1 key for this task, because F1 is often
used for such sort of help menu in many software products.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.