Hi.  I'm wondering if it would be possible to add to the parsing of
.stg files the ability to understand coordinates which are offsets
from other fixed locations -- particularly, the locations of airports.

The reason:  things such as airport hangars, control towers, terminals,
etc., exist in their locations because the airport is where it is.
Unfortunately, because of the continuous effort to correct errors in
the airport data, airports sometimes move.  I worry a little about
some future date where some of the aiports move, and someone has to
run around and manually shift the locations of a bunch of structures
in lots of different .stg files.  Naively, I would think it'd be better
if, when originally done, those structures could be placed with
coordinates which are an offset from the location of the airport
specified in the basic.dat file.

This still doesn't completely solve the problem (it doesn't address
situations where runway angles change); but I don't see that as as
big a problem.  If someone knows a field well enough (from personal
experience or airport layout charts or aerial photos or whatever) to
place static structures, they're probably going to notice that the
existing runway specificationg fgfs has is wrong right away, and
hold off on placing the structure.

I know it's much easier to ask about this than it is to implement it;
but it seems like it might save multiple instances of a lot of effort
later on.

Good idea?  Lousy idea?

Thanks,

-c