My observations are similar to this. However, I don't think that it's a
problem with the accuracy of the calculations as such. The route manager code
is relatively old and tries to set a straight course to it's next waypoint.
It doesn't consider the wind blowing the aircraft off its lateral track. The
autopilot tries to compensate by keeping the aircraft on a heading straight
to the next waypoint. Now, as we get closer, this happens at an increasingly
greater rate, until the rate of required course adjustment exceeds maximum
turn-rate. I've seen a few occasions where the 747 couldn't reach the next
waypoint because of this phenomenon and started flying around it in endless
circles, until I manually popped it.

Cheers,
Durk