William Earnest wrote:

Another small feather for FlightGear's rather large hat. Today I passed my instrument rating checkride, significantly helped by the program in forming a decent scan and control by panel. It certainly reduced the number of lessons and practice flights.

Congrats, and welcome to the clouds!

You'll enjoy the rating quite a bit during summer afternoons, when you can climb up through a broken or overcast layer and fly in the clear, smooth air above while all the VFR pilots are getting the fillings knocked out of their teeth down in the thermals below the cloud layer.

I find that FlightGear does a good job keeping me in practice between flights. I want to do a practice approach every day, but even one a week makes the real ones much more relaxed.

All the best,

David