Dave Perry wrote:

I posted the following near the end of May.

At least some of the glide slopes are now not working that were before this change.

The glideslope at KSFO is working.
The glideslope at Greeley, CO (I-DCI, 110.3) never comes off pegged at the bottom (saying you are high).
Same comment for the glideslope at Fort Collins-Loveland (I-FNL, 109.5).
The glideslope at Jeffco, CO (I-BJC, 111.7) is just a little high (saying you are low when the papi lights say you are right on).

Since then, I tried several other approaches.

The glideslope at Des Moines, IA (KDSM) RW 31 (I-DSM 110.3) is near to correct while
the glideslope at Waterloo, IA (KALO) RW 12 (I-ALO 111.7) is way too low.

I am using fgfs to practice for an instrument check ride and this change makes
most ILS approaches into localizer only approaches. I looked at the data in nav.dat.gz
and the elevations look ok. All these used to work fine. Are others having the same
issues?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Dave, I checked in a patch to CVS that *should* fix most cases of GS problems.
For ILS approaches, the DME, Localizer, GS, and marker beacons are all listed
separately. In most of the cases you reported, the GS simply had no valid elevation (i.e. elevation = 0). What I have done is assign the field elevation to any such ILS component that doesn't have a valid elevation.

Also, in the case of Jeffco, I noticed I was using the localizer transmitter elevation, not the glide slope transmitter elevation for GS needle deflection calculations. For Jeffco this makes a big difference (about 80' difference.) This should also now be
fixed.

It's reassuring to see that our SRTM based airport surfaces are matching reality close enough that this all needs to be done correctly to make the GS come out right. :-)

Regards,

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d