Gunnstein Lye wrote:

The GPL does not prohibit selling, and does not say anything about how much they can charge, as long as any changes they have made are made available for free (or the cost of the medium and postage).

The GPL also contains requirements to make the source code available to customers, and to release the source to any modifications you've made to a distributed version. The GPL (unlike the LGPL) considers linking to be a modification, so if you link a GPL library into your program and then distribute the program, the whole thing becomes open source.

Personally, I appreciate the historical importance of the GPL, but I'm not much of a fan now that we have better licenses available. The only real benefit of the GPL these days is for companies who want to make money by dual licensing (since the GPL is too restrictive for many users).

All the best,

David