AFAIK, by default (on cygwin at least), install sets the file date on the installed
copy to the date of installation, not the date of compiliation, so running make
install in SimGear makes it look as if the whole of SimGear is new.
There is a flag you can pass to install (-p perhaps?) which tells it to use the date
on the original file, not the date of installation, so the impact on subsequent makes
of changing one SimGear file is reduced to the degree that it should be.

Does that make sense?

Richard