Mat Churchill wrote:

> Problem is I imagine the weight would be thrown around by centrifugal
> force messing up the readings.

Correct, and not only by centrifugal forces. _Any_ sort of acceleration
will make your data unsuable. You're looking for what is called "IMU",
Inertial Measurement Unit. A cheap variant is described here:

  http://www.cloudcaptech.com/crista_imu.htm

.... but I don't know, how good they work. There _are_ people
successfully driving autonomous helicopters with a solid-state IMU over
short distances but I would not trust them for large/expensive model
aircraft or 'long range' flights.
For recording your own flight they should be sufficient if you add a
GPS,

Martin.