Norman Vine wrote:

Yup, using 3 differential GPS units has become a 'standard' way of doing this
http://www.fig.net/pub/proceedings/korea/full-papers/pdf/session17/stathas-karabelas-liapakis-psarianos-kontaratos.pdf
http://waas.stanford.edu/~wwu/papers/gps/PDF/DeLorenzoIEEEPLANS04.pdf

Cool, the UMN professor I am working with is listed as a reference for the stanford paper. Small world ...

however with a little ingenuity one could build a satisfactory
system around this neat device for *much* less money
https://www.fmadirect.com/site/Detail.htm?item=1489&section=20

Exactly! I'm trying to decide if I want to mount the IR sensor on some sort of gimble and vary the sensor attitude to control the aircraft attitude, or do I just want to hard mount the sensor and try and steer with the rudder while the copilot fights to keep the wings level ... (?) But add an isopod (< $100 from newmicros.com) and an OEM GPS (< $100 from garmin) and some elbow grease and you'd be getting pretty close to being able to do 100% autonomous flight. A radio modem, ground station, and onboard sensor suite would also be nice. As well as onboard wireless video camera, directional antennas, etc. etc. etc.)

Continuing to be off topic. Take a look at the July 9-10, 2004 entry at my Mariner web site:

   http://www.flightgear.org/~curt/Models/Mariner/

Curt.

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d