From: "Ampere K. Hardraade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> System spec:
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70 GHz
> Memory: 512MB
> Graphic card: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev01)(prog-if 00 [VGA])
> Sound card: Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) AC'97
> Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> Operating System: Debian Linux Unstable 3.0
> Kernel: 2.6
> GUI: KDE 3.2.2
>
> Problem #1
> I am only able to run FlightGear once per login.  I am going to recompile
> FlightGear and see how things go.

I'm running AMD64, ATI, Via, Debian, Testing, KDE.
I don't observe your problem #1 so I suspect some other interaction.

> Problem #2
> OpenAL gave me the following error:
> Initializing OpenAL sound manager
> open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

Check your audio configuration for KDE; on my system it grabs /dev/dsp
to make desktop sounds such as the startup noise and then relinquishes
it sometime later.  If the desktop has not relinquished the soundcard,
FGFS is unable to get control of the device in order to do the audio.

> I have already included my login into the same group as /dev/dsp.  I have also
> reinstalled OpenAL by apt.  The result is still the same.

On slower computers, you might want to log in using a plain xterm in order
to get the KDE program elements out of memory.  They tend to hang around
and steal video and processor resources ... and refuse to get swapped.

Curt:  Is the version of openal in Debian's unstable finally new enough ?

> Problem #3
> The morse code that was broadcast from KSFO only says 'SF'.  Is that normal?
> Shouldn't it say 'SFO'?

Depends which radio is generating the morse,
and what the callsign of the associated transmitter is.
I don't know what the default configuration is, offhand.

... hope that helps ...