On Saturday 17 July 2004 07:08 am, Innis Cunningham wrote:
>for speed to the old box. To my surprise the frame rates
> were worse than the old box.
> The following tests were done using windows 98SE
> The old box was a 850meg duron with 256 meg ram and
> a GF4-MX-440 64meg graphics card.On this box I could get 27fps
> sitting at the end of 28R at KSFO looking at the terminal.
> The new box a 2gig athalon with 512meg ram and a FX5200
> 128meg graphics card could only give 22fps under the same
> conditions.Also my son who has a 2.8 gig rig running an ATI 9800pro
> card could only get 15fps.It seems the more powerfull the computer
> the slower FG seems to run.
I had a GeForce 2 Titanium with a PIII Xeon at 550MHz getting about 15 fps
over SF Video card crapped out (even has a red LED come on to tell you
it has crapped out) so I bought a Geforce FX 5200 Frame rate dropped to 4
in same circumstances. Occasionally up to 6. I already had plans to upgrade
so I didn't panic New system is P4 at 3.0 GHz with 1MB cache AGP runs
at 8x So now my frame rate is back to 15, though it does jump into the
high 20's sometimes. Same copy of the executable in all cases. (CVS from
mid Feb) This is rather disappointing, to be honest.

Richard Harke