Chris Metzler wrote:

For example,
tweaking the diffuse/specular reflectivity parameters produces no change
whatsoever to the .ac file exported, even though the .blend file does
change.

Correct. Currently, the AC3D export scripts in blender do not export specular, and emissive parameters, and they probably do not handle diffuse either -- you have to add those back in by hand in the AC3D file.

Even worse, once textures are assigned, the texture files don't get
exported either.  There they are in the Blender renderer, but there's
no texture lines showing up anywhere in the .ac file after export.

When I add textures with the Blender UV editor, they show up fine. I haven't tried using projected textures.

All the best,

David