Hi,

I am doing a project for Boeing where I am trying to incorporate a few
additional features they want into Flightgear. Initially I need to
create a crater (hole) if a plane crashes (or a missile ). I also need to
simulate smoke and fire coming out of the crater.

For creating a crater, I tried to identify the vertices in the crater area
 depending on the radius of the crater and multiplied the
vertices( world coordinates ) by a factor alpha (if alpha < 1.0 then
height of the vertex is lowered ). This doesn't seem to work that well
because sometimes they are no vertices or very few vertices in the
crater area.

I was also wondering if flightgear already has the fire and smoke effects.

I would appreciate if anybody has any ideas......

thanks
chandra