David mentioned:
> Carb icing is common on humid days in certain Continental engines such as
> the one in the Cessna 150 and the old (pre-1967) 172, but it is very rare in
> engines like the Lycoming O-320 (used in the Warrior and post-1967 Cessna
> 172's).  The warnings in the later 172 POH's about using carb heat at low
> power are left over from the old Continental O-300 days -- the Warrior has
> essentially the same engine, but my POH does not recommend carb heat for low
> power operation unless I suspect actual icing.

I disagree about that ... I've had an O320 stutter on me due to carb ice.
At the last-but-one flyin I went to, they had two accidents.  The first
was due to poor crosswind skills and the second was a C172 with carb ice.

> David Megginson wrote:
> > I don't think we should disable any systems, period, but we can put
> > users by default in situations where carb icing is unlikely (i.e. a
> > clear, dry day).

I think that is an excellent idea.  Treat the new pilot like someone
who is going to go on one of the 'taster' first student flight thingys.
No, David, not like _your_ first flight ... like mine, for example.  8-)

> > Once you get into situations where carb icing is
> > likely, users are going to be dealing with other problems like reduced
> > visibility anyway.

Yeah, and if they haven't learned to do safe things routinely, such as
using carb heat, leaning and everything else, they'll have a short life.

Matthew mentioned:
> We lost a C150 last week to suspected carb ice.  The engine stopped dead
> on base leg when the pilot (a recent PPL graduate) throttled down to
> descend for landing.  The 'landing' appears to have been rather hard as
> the 'plane is a write-off.  Thankfully he's OK...  I think my Vans RV-9
> will have a diesel engine :-)

That's a point.  Once the engine stutters/quits due to carb ice,
you have to make it take a while for the ice to go away again.
... and it takes quite a while ...