Matthew Law wrote:

I can't see the harm of a temporary and slight decrease in power compared to what could go wrong if I didn't use it...

Fair enough. You have to weight it against the risk of forgetting to shut it off in an overshoot, giving you reduced climb power and a tiny possibility of detonation (on a hot day at a low density altitude). Neither of those is a very big risk, though.

In my plane, the carb air is already warmed by passing up through the middle of the oil sump and picking up some heat from all that warm oil -- that was Lycoming's big innovation in the O-320 (at least in the B and D models). From what I understand, Piper also improved the location of the air intake.

All the best,

David