Chris Metzler wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:59:37 -0400
Josh Babcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chris Metzler wrote:

For those of you who've worked on 3d modelling/texturing, please
please please tell me I'm missing something here.

I've an object I've created in Blender.  Using the UV Face Editor, I
load one texture file and map some of the faces to it (or actually,
to a region much much larger than it, because I want the texture
tiled many times over the faces in question).  I load another texture
file and map the other faces to it.  I look at my object in Blender,
and it looks fine.  I export it to AC3D format, and only one texture
shows up.

I've done some poking around with the .ac files that come with FG,
and haven't found one with more than one texture file associated
with one object, and now I'm worried. Is this something Blender
can do, but AC3D (and thus AC3D files) cannot?

AC3D does not support multiple textures per object, AFAIK.

Oh, that sucks. That truly, truly sucks. Having finished several
objects, I now have to go back and break each of them up into
multiple smaller objects. Using one unified texture, and UVmapping
on it, isn't an option since it'd require a 2048x2048 texture.

Be careful how many 2048x2048 textures you use. Just one of those is 12.5Mb of your card's onboard video RAM. If your texture has an alpha component, that grows to almost 17Mb of RAM.

Think seriously about how big your object will be on the screen (pixels x pixels) from normal viewing range. Sure it would be great to be able to zoom on on a building and see the molecular structure of the brick, but remember this is a flight sim and typically we keep a reasonable distance between the aircraft and the environment.

Regards,

Curt.

Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d