Jon S Berndt wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:20:17 +0100
 SGMINFO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

David Megginson wrote:

> I'm getting seriously out of my depth here, since I didn't even take high
> school physics...

Just a lurker at present until I can find a way to contribute more usefully but try this...

http://www.av8n.com/how/

Yes, this seems liek an excellent piece. See section 3.14 and 3.15 for pertinent discussion.

Actually, this one might be most pertinent to the original discussion:

  http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html#fig-3pv

The important thing to note is that the airflow *above* the wing also curves down, not just the airflow below it. That is why, even with the same incidence angle, the hstab sees a different angle of attack in the wings' downwash even if it is level with or slightly above the wings themselves.

All the best,

David