"Jim Wilson" wrote:

If it wasn't for the great work on JSBsim and YASim we'd have very few aircraft. But I think those config files, along with the "source code" that ends up interpreting and processing them, both make up the
FDMs.

There is considerable skill and effort involved in producing accurate
flight models for new aircraft isn't there?

This is absolutely true. It's almost an art form in itself. But, the aircraft definition is a complete, static, specification file for a specific aircraft. The flight dynamics model (I'm referring to JSBSim, YASim, or UIUC-LaRCsim source code compiled into FlightGear) _implements_ the flight dynamics guided by the specific aircraft flight model.

Just my $0.03.

Jon