David Megginson wrote:

Before I bash Oz any more, I'll repeat the problem that Garmin had with my own government recently. The Garmin 296 handheld GPS includes terrain obstructions (such as towers), which could save of lives; however, the Canadian government refused to provide obstruction information for Canada unless they got a royalty for each unit sold --

It's always nice to see how governments get away by using public money to gather data, and let the public pay again to get the data ...

The situation in most European countries is not any better though.

I wonder what would happen if some unaware pilot cuts the cable of an actively used cable railway in the Alps because of the lack of information.

Erik