* Peter L -- Saturday 14 August 2004 05:14:
> > Was it the USAF? I couldn't remember anymore, just that it happened..
>
> Actually, marines. Very unfortunate accident in clear weather in 1998 in
> Italy. US marine training flight, the plane returned with some damage.
>
> The route was a well used one, but it appears they flew lower than normal.

That's a bit euphemistic. They flew lower than allowed, against clear orders.
And the pilot filmed the whole thing to show off to his friends (IIRC). Despite
killing 20(?) people the fines were AFAIK ridiculously low. He would have
sat a few years in prison in most legal systems ...

m.