Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Martin Spott -- Tuesday 17 August 2004 12:24:

> > vpngw: 12:07:27 ~> bin/metar -v EDLN
> > INPUT: 2004/08/17 08:50
> > EDLN 170850Z VRB03KT CAVOK 22/17 Q1008
> > METAR Report         ^^^^^
> > ============
> > [...]
> > Sky condition:          clear skies
> >                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
> I did it that way because this couldn't be translated into reliable fgfs
> properties anyway. Should it report clouds at 5000 ft then? Or at 10000 ft?

I just realized you already calculate the rel. humidity from
temperature and dewpoint. You could calculate the cloud base from these
two numbers and the airport elevation as well - at least our instructor
taught us to do so in case of of doubt.
This raises a question. We usually calculate 100 m per degree celsius
(wet adiabatic), today I read a paper and noticed that some people take
122 m per degree (dry adiabatic). I think (natuarally  ;-)  our
assumption comes closer to reality when you're dealing with low hanging
clouds. What do you use outside Europe (Germany) ?

Martin.