* Martin Spott -- Thursday 19 August 2004 13:16:
> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > * Martin Spott -- Tuesday 17 August 2004 15:28:
> > > I just realized you already calculate the rel. humidity from
> > > temperature and dewpoint. You could calculate the cloud base from these
> > > two numbers and the airport elevation as well

> > What? The cloud base from temperature and dewpoint?
>
> Yes, the dew point represents the temperature, when humidity
> precipitates. In wet adiabatic conditions, which are likely to
> predominate, temperature decreases 1 degree Celsius per 100 m altitude.
> Now you can calculate the height above GND of your cloud base if you
> know elevation and the spread (temperature at GND - dewpoint).

OK. I read your sentence as: "You could calculate the cloud base from
temperature and dewpoint. And you could also calculate the airport
elevation from them" ... which would have been quite surprising (and
unbelievable).

> > And then:
> >
> >   $ ./metar -e `zcat $FG_ROOT/Airports/default.apt.gz|awk '/ LOWW /{print $5}'` -c
> > LOWW
>
> I agree, this is a bit complicated for the average user  ;-))
> Maybe it would make more sense to intregrate this logic into FlightGear
> in order to make the weather model more realistic,

That's of course done in fgfs!

m.