I've always thought that using stl strings was generally safer than char*,
but could anyone comment on the below?

string s = "";

Am I stomping on random memory with the out-of-range character write, or is
this protected against because it's an stl string?

TaxiDraw currently has a memory corruption bug that only appears on Linux.
It's one of those nasty ones that randomly comes and goes as the source
changes, and appears to be unrelated to the crash site in the debugger.
Apart from converting sprintf -> snprintf, checking for uninitialised
variables, checking for out-of-bounds array writes and running with
valgrind, does anyone have any other suggestions that I could try?

Cheers - Dave