Lee Elliott wrote:

> Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 10:16 PM
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: [Flightgear-devel] Problem with ballistic sub-model
>

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to use a ballistic sub-model to simulate a bomb
> but the parent
> a/c's speed and pitch etc. doesn't seem to be inherited i.e.
> the bomb appears
> to have no initial velocity and the pitch doesn't match that
> of the a/c.
>
> The sub-model.xml I'm using is below.  Some of the settings
> are for de-bugging
> the important
> ones for a bomb would be <speed> and <eda>
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <PropertyList>
>
>   <submodel>
>     <name>redbeard</name>
>     <model>Aircraft/EE-Canberra/Models/RedBeard.xml</model>
>     <trigger>/controls/armament/red-beard-released</trigger>
>     <speed>0.0</speed>
>     <repeat>true</repeat>
>     <delay>1.0</delay>
>     <count>-1</count>
>     <x-offset>0.0</x-offset>
>     <y-offset>-0.0</y-offset>
>     <z-offset>0.0</z-offset>
>     <yaw-offset>0.0</yaw-offset>
>     <pitch-offset>0.0</pitch-offset>
>     <eda>0.0001</eda>
>     <buoyancy>30</buoyancy>
>     <wind>false</wind>
>   </submodel>
>
> </PropertyList>
>

> LeeE

I've been doing the same work for droptanks for the Hunter, with the same
results. The ballistic submodel should inherit the parent velocities, and
unless I've got a sign wrong somewhere (very possible), it does. On the
other hand, the initial alignment of the submodel seems wrong. At the moment
it aligns to the initial vector. This is a feature not a bug :-). The
current module was designed for tracer and then extended to smoke, where it
doesn't matter so much.

I'll continue to investigate both issues today, but I can't promise instant
results, as I think we may be hitting some fundamental design concepts
rather than software bugs.

Regards

Vivian