Chris Metzler wrote:

This works fine except for one thing:  starting up.  When you start
up, no matter where you are or what you're doing right at startup,
one of the two conditions above is guaranteed to be satisfied, and
so right away you hear the sound that's meant to be heard only when
passing through the value.  If you have several of these types of
sounds, you get a big burst of sounds at startup.

I would stick with this. The startup situation has to change for other reasons anyway. I'll investigate to make sure the sound is not played before the scenery is rendered. That should solve this problem also.

Erik