----- Original Message -----
From: "David Luff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] A voice for FG

> On 9/17/04 at 2:04 PM John Wojnaroski wrote:

Actually, there are three parts --- the ASR that converts speech to text
(that runs on my laptop) and sends the text string over the LAN to the AI
app that analyzes and generates a response and sends the text over to the
festival engine (TTS) for conversion back to audio. I'll send along more
details via private mail and attach the tar files.

> I'm a bit unclear which parts you are actually working on.  Are you
working
> on the decoding of the speech to text-strings only so far, or have you
> actually started on logically decoding the text strings for ATC-AI?  This
> is the part I'm currently in deep thought about.

Working on the speech to text and text to speech ends, the middle ATC/AI is
the really tough part. Have you ever looked at www.vatsim.org or
www.ivao.org ? A different approach using real "actors" to create a virtual
world. But, alas, it's all MS based...

> A few random thoughts.  Speech recognition for ATC ought to be easier than
> the general case, since the smaller vocabulary ought to mean that better
> guesses can be made, if this sort of thing can be specified to the ASR
> engine.

Yes, yes, and yes

> Having it on another PC could be nice from the point of view that the
> engine sound from the FG PC can come from the speakers - with ATC from the
> TTS/ASR PC put though headphones to fairly realistically simulate the real
> environment.

Exactly how I'm setting up my sim... and it does impart a better sense and
feel; especially if you mount the engine speakers to the rear with
left/right stereo

Regards
John W.