Erik Hofman wrote:
Boris Koenig wrote:

But there's another thing in this context - it's about the VERSION file
in $FG_ROOT/data not containing pre-release tags, I think Jim Wilson
mentioned a couple of weeks ago that this is supposed to be like that,
this however causes a problem for those users who want to apply a patch
for their corresponding fgfs-base version: in order to make the
process really idiot-proof it would be very helpful if you guys could
either decide whether to add pre-release tags to the version file

I think there have been versions around where the version number in the base package was actually something like "0.9.4pre2"

Maybe, I don't know - it's just that some general convention would be useful, particularly regarding the "patch applying howto" for tardiff: http://tardiff.sourceforge.net/applying-patches.html#tardiff-apply

So, if you say that future VERSION files will also specify whether
a particularly package is a PRE-release, it would already be
sufficient.

---------
Boris