Hello  Jon,

Jon Stockill wrote:

Horst J. Wobig wrote:

(2) Is it possible to store the elevation for objects in stg files
*relative* to ground level at a given longitude/latitude?
I looked at tileentry.cxx, but I'm not familiar enough with
the FG sources/internals to say how this could be done.

The elevation in the stg files is relative to the spheroid, which is why I needed the telnet.pl code to connect to a running flightgear instance to get local ground level. It would be possible to support an offset from ground level with the script I have, although I've not yet found a need for it yet.

well, I thought about *FG* handling ground-level relative elevations in *stg files* (for most objects = 0m,
e.g. "OBJECT_SHARED somemodel 123.4 567.7 gl+0. 0.00"), so there would be no need to calculate
them in the first place outside FG.
But beeing quite new to FG, maybe I should get myself more comfortable with the code in the
very first place...

Thanks for the info concerning calc-tile.pl, I picked up the other scripts but somehow missed this one....

Horst